Mazda 3 Blind Spot Monitoring Not Working – The Mazda 3 from Mazda Motor Corporation (MZDAY) comes equipped with a blind spot monitoring system that alerts the driver when there’s an object in the side view mirror’s field of vision that should not be there, such as another vehicle or a pedestrian.
While this is great to have and easy to use, not all Mazda 3 models come with this feature built-in and it can be added later on.
If you need to troubleshoot why the blind spot monitoring system on your Mazda 3 doesn’t work, try these steps first before taking it to the dealership or contacting customer service.
Overview of the Problem Mazda 3 Blind Spot Monitoring Not Working
The blind spot monitoring system of the Mazda 3 may not work properly. The sensors will light up when there is a car in the lane next to you, but some owners have noticed that they do not activate. This can be due to a sensor malfunction or a problem resetting the system.
If your Mazda 3 blind spot monitoring does not seem to be working, try turning off and on your ignition and then take it to an authorized dealer for them to diagnose it.
5 Reasons Why Mazda 3 Blind Spot Monitoring Not Working
If the Mazda 3 blind spot monitoring is not working, it could be caused by one of these three things: a fault in the sensor and/or camera, an electrical connection problem, or a software malfunction.
If your car’s blind spot monitoring system is not working correctly and you want to fix it yourself, first try resetting your system by turning off the car and turning it back on again.
You can also check for any loose connections in the camera or sensor harnesses. If this is the case, you will see an error message on your dashboard that says (BLIND SPOT MONITORING SENSOR UNABLE TO CONNECT).
If you are having issues with Mazda 3 Blind Spot Monitoring not working, check the following five things and solve your problem with ease.
1. The system isn’t turned on
The first reason the system might not be working is that it isn’t turned on. To turn it on, simply press the high beams button.
You can also check to make sure that your high beams are on and that the system is activated by following these steps:
- Turn on your car, but do not start driving.
- Press and hold the high beams button for at least 5 seconds or until you hear a chime sound twice. The LEDs around the button will light up when it’s activated.
- Check the lights around the camera: Sometimes, dirt or debris can get caught in front of the camera lens. If this is happening, there will be an indicator light on either side of the button. Simply wipe down any dirt that you find using a microfiber cloth and then press the high beams again to see if they work correctly now.
- Reset all settings in Settings Menu: Some users have found success with resetting all their settings in their phone through Settings > General > Reset all settings after uninstalling their updates for Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM). Users report being able to reconnect BSM via this method without going through traditional customer service channels.
2. Something is obstructing the sensors
If there is an obstruction to the sensor, the camera will not work. This can happen when dirt, snow, or ice gathers on the windshield, when road grime and bugs get caught in the sensors, or if a sticker or other debris is blocking a sensor.
The first thing you should do is clean off your windshield and then try again. If that doesn’t work then check to make sure there are no obstructions in front of the sensor and try again. If this still doesn’t work then it may be time to take your car to a dealership for service.
There are other possible reasons why the blind spot monitoring feature of your Mazda 3 might not be working properly such as a loose connection at the steering column control module.
3. The sensors are dirty
The sensors themselves are mounted in the body panels of your vehicle and can become dirty from time to time. To clean your sensors, follow these steps:
- Use a damp cloth or paper towel to clean the area behind the sensor, where any dirt collected around it during its installation process may be trapped.
- Dry both surfaces thoroughly with a soft cotton cloth or paper towel before installing them back onto your vehicle’s fender panel and into their original position.
4. The system isn’t calibrated properly
This is likely the first problem that many people who have this issue will notice, and it’s an easy fix. The system needs to be recalibrated each time the vehicle is moved to a new location, otherwise, it won’t work properly.
This can easily be done by following a few steps:
- Turn on the system
- Press and hold the reset button on the left side of the steering wheel until a message pops up asking if you want to recalibrate
- Select yes from this list of messages
- Wait for five minutes while the calibration process takes place and then confirm with another button press when finished
5. There could be a software issue
The most common cause of Mazda3 blind spot monitoring not working is software, which may be caused by downloading a faulty update or when the vehicle’s software is corrupted.
If you are unsure if this is the issue, try resetting your Mazda3 by turning the car off and then restarting it while pressing the brake pedal.
You can also try disconnecting your car’s battery and then reconnecting it, which may solve any issue that is related to the software.
If you still experience a Mazda blind spot sensor malfunction after resetting your Mazda3 and disconnecting/connecting your battery, there may be something more serious at work.
Solutions to Try
It might be that the sensor is malfunctioning and needs to be reset. To do this, first, turn off the car and remove the key from the ignition.
Next, press and hold both of the hazard lights buttons on either side of the steering wheel for five seconds.
Now restart your vehicle and see if it works. If not, you may want to consult a Mazda service center as they should be able to help with any blind spot monitoring problems.
You can also contact a certified mechanic to find out more information about how Mazda 3 blind spot monitoring not working can be fixed.